Deliberating in a Democracy Farm Subsidies
Jennifer Bloom, Claudia Parliament, Alan Withers, Filiz Yargici
Engage students in a Structured Academic Controversy in this lesson that focuses on developing deliberation skills using the issue of farm subsidies (a critical question for Minnesota and the nation). This lesson from Deliberating in a Democracy Minnesota (DIDMN) project teaches deliberation skills that ensure that conflicting views can be heard, understood, and valued, and students will develop the ability to find solutions to important issues. Lesson includes a student reading on farm subsidies which is used by small groups as they increase their understanding of the issue. This is democracy in action!
- Students will learn the process of deliberation
- Students will increase understanding of the farm subsidy issue from multiple perspectives
- Students will practice skills for democracy
Time to Complete
One class period
- Deliberating in a Democracy Farm Subsidies
- Deliberating in a Democracy Steps
- Deliberating in a Democracy Steps Video
- Making Civics Real SAC on Racial Profiling with MN teacher JoEllen Ambrose
See Deliberating in a Democracy Steps and Steps Video
This lesson was prepared for the Minnesota Center for Social Studies Education's 2010 Summer Institute. Deliberating in a Democracy Minnesota is supported in part by the Minnesota Legacy Amendment.