LegalWays: Juvenile Delinquency Process
By Jennifer Bloom and Sally Revak
In this lesson from the LegalWays curriculum the Steps in a Juvenile Delinquency case are described. This lesson enhances the lesson on the Juvenile Court in The Legal System unit. The student reading with guided questions and the “Ordering” activity help the students learn the procedure. The steps in the procedure can also be used in a “Human Continuum” activity. This lesson uses Minnesota law but can be adapted for other states.
- Students will become familiar with the juvenile delinquency procedure including terms used and people involved in the juvenile system
- Students will understand how the juvenile court and its procedures are different from adult court
Time to Complete
One Class Period
- LegalWays Curriculum Overview
- Juvenile Delinquency Teaching Guide
- Student Handout Juvenile Delinquency Process
See Juvenile Delinquency Teaching Guide
LegalWays curriculum was funded by Grant No. 95-JS-FX-0300 from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.