LegalWays: Paternity and Child Custody
By Jennifer Bloom and Sally Revak
This lesson from the LegalWays curriculum focuses on paternity, which is an important issue in the lives of teen parents. The reading about the law with the guiding questions and the Yes or No You Decide activity are designed to help the students understand the content of the law. The “Each One Teach One” is an effective way to teach and review the substance of the law in an interactive way. Although the reading reflects Minnesota law, the reading can be adapted easily.
- Students will understand the function of the people involved in the juvenile protection area.
- Students will become familiar with the laws of custody and visitation.
- Learn about the legal rights and responsibilities of parents and children.
Time to Complete
One class period
- LegalWays Curriculum Overview
- Juvenile Protection Teaching Guide
- Student Handout Paternity and Child Custody
See Juvenile Protection Teaching Guide
LegalWays curriculum was funded by Grant No. 95-JS-FX-0300 from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.