Memorial Day – Elementary
Author: Character Counts!
Students will appreciate the significance and history of “Taps.” They will use the bugle call to learn about the sacrifices made by those who have fallen in war and the importance of doing the right thing. This lesson can be extended into several areas of the curriculum to include music, history, and social studies.
- Students will gauge their emotions when listening to music.
- They will learn about the history and significance of “Taps.”
- They will consider the efficacy of the bugle as the instrument for the song.
- They will experiment with other instruments and explore their possibilities in playing the tune.
- They will learn about the importance of Memorial Day as a day to remember those who did the right thing.
- They will devise a song/chant or other musical piece to remind people to do the right thing.
Josephson Institute develops and delivers services and materials to increase ethical commitment, competence, and practice in all segments of society. A nonpartisan and nonsectarian 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, the Institute is funded by individual donations, foundation and corporate grants, fees and contributions for services, and sales of publications, curricular materials, and other products.