The Power of One Decision – Brown v. Board of Education
Author: Linda Weber, Annenberg Classroom
This lesson is based on a video of three Supreme Court Jus- tices participating in a Q & A session with a group of high school students. The conversation revolves around the issues and arguments in the case of Brown v. Board of Education. Through the lesson, students gain insight into decision-making at the Supreme Court, learn about the people behind the case, construct a persuasive argument, and evaluate the sig- nificance of Brown v. Board of Education.
- Describe the far-reaching impact of the decision in Brown v. Board of Education.
- Analyze the decision-making of the Supreme Court as it relates to Brown.
- Construct a persuasive argument.
- Define the separate and shared responsibilities of the judicial and executive branches.
- Apply a model of reasoned decision-making.
- Appreciate the power of the decisions they make.
The Annenberg Foundation is a private family foundation that provides funding and support to nonprofit organizations in the United States and globally. The Foundation and its Board of Directors are also directly involved in the community with innovative projects that further its mission to advance the public well-being through improved communication. The Foundation encourages the development of effective ways to share ideas and knowledge.