You’ve Got Rights!
Summary: Students learn about the rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and other important constitutional amendments. First they consider what rights they believe are important, then they read and analyze the real text of each amendment. This lesson also helps students analyze the impact that the Bill of Rights has on their daily lives.
- Describe the circumstances and debate that led to the Bill of Rights
- Compare and contrast the positions of the Federalists and Anti-Federalists as to the Bill of Rights
- Identify the rights granted by the Bill of Rights and key later amendments
- Categorize rights in the Bill of Rights as individual freedoms, protection from government power, or rights of the accused
- Predict what might happen if key rights were missing from the Constitution