Author: Bilaal Ahmed
Students take on the role of a political analyst, forecasting the electoral vote count for the presidential election. In order to make a prediction, students are introduced to campaign issues, the Electoral College, the role of swing states, and the importance of political participation. The lesson plan includes a fun, interactive classroom competition where students make electoral predictions and compare with the actual results following the November voting deadline.
- Understand the Electoral College and the breakdown of votes for each state
- Become aware of key campaign issues and the different perspectives endorsed by the Republican and Democratic Party
- Recognize the value of “swing states” and their implications in the current Presidential Election
- Understand the pros and cons of an Electoral College versus a popular vote system
- Create greater interest in the presidential election and the US political process as a whole