LegalWays: Domestic Abuse and Order for Protection
By Jennifer Bloom and Sally Revak
This lesson from LegalWays describes domestic abuse and what can be done when a person is the victim of abuse. The procedure for getting an Order for Protection is included. The “Case Study” activity asks the students to apply their new knowledge to a hypothetical case. As a culminating activity, the students will apply their knowledge and learn more about the court system in the Mock Trial, which involves domestic abuse between a girlfriend and boyfriend. Lesson includes a student reading with guiding questions using Minnesota law. Lesson can be adapted.
- Understand the function of the people involved in the juvenile protection area.
- Become familiar with the laws of abuse and neglect.
- Understand the various ways in which the juvenile system attempts to take of care of juveniles and their families.
- Learn where to go for help.
Time to Complete
Two class periods
- LegalWays Curriculum Overview
- Juvenile Protection Teaching Guide
- Student Handout Domestic Abuse and Order for Protection
See Juvenile Protection Teaching Guide
LegalWays curriculum was funded by Grant No. 95-JS-FX-0300 from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.